Thursday, February 22, 2018

On the eve of 5

Dear Jackson,

I rarely update this little blog anymore, but for your birthday, dear Jackie boy, I come back to this little space of the Internet reserved for our family and I commemorate your birth. When you were born the doctor said you were born like Superman, shoulders square (we can discuss your payment plan for the damages later) ready to take flight. Looking back, that description fits you perfectly. You are hero obsessed, always cheering on the good guys and taking down the bad ones. What's more, though, is you are always looking forward, ready to take flight. You are all personality. Every inch of you exudes emotion and feeling and I so love that about you.

When you are happy you are SO SO SO happy. You light up a room. Your dance moves are epic and watching you dance brings me so much joy because you just let music move you. You tell me you love me no less than 100 times a day, in little out-of-the-blue moments that always catch me by surprise. I hope you do that until forever because it's my favorite. You love your sisters in equal measure and take care to watch out for them. Even though you aren't the oldest, you are the biggest, and I truly believe you would take down anyone who dared hurt Lily or Harper. Despite your protective nature, you look up to Lily like she's a goddess and live for 4pm when she gets off the bus. I know Harper can cramp your style sometimes (9-month-olds are so needy!), but it's always big bro-bro to the rescue when she is crying or needs a snuggle-hug. You've loved little Harps since before she was here and your gentle nature with her is heart melting.

This year has been a big growing year. You're counting, and reciting the alphabet, and learning to spell and read. You are make huge strides in pre-K and are very much looking forward to Kindergarten in the fall. You sweetly ask if Lily will hold your hand and walk you to class and in my heart I whisper that I hope you will ask her to hold your hand forever, through everything. You are curious, and talkative, and that means I am asked a million questions I rarely have answers to (thanks, Google).

My only boy, my sweet middle child, you are sunshine in so many lives. I cannot believe that you are already 5 years old. It seems like just yesterday we were shocked at your birth weight and nervous to bring you home to a crazy 2 year old sister. I hope you keep saying silly things and making up funny stories and singing crazy songs. Our world can be a scary place, buddy, but knowing that you are in it means that it is all the better. Keep shining my little superhero. Here's to 5!

Love, Your mama


No comments:

Post a Comment