Monday, July 28, 2014

The quest for a perfect chocolate smoothie...

I am on the quest for the perfect (or almost perfect) chocolate smoothie. Why? Because why not? Ok, that's not a real answer. I have been having fun trying new smoothies for breakfast or lunch and I wanted something packed with protein. I have been working on tracking my eating habits, and I noticed the two major areas where I consistently lack nutrients are in the protein and iron categories (this isn't a shock to me, with both pregnancies I became anemic and had to go on iron pills, so I am sure I was already behind before the pregnancies).

I did a lot of research on various types of chocolate smoothies. Most have the same basic ingredients: cocoa powder, honey, some creamy base (banana or avocado), and then a variety of other things to round out the flavors and nutrition content. I decided to start with a smoothie with the following ingredients: frozen banana, honey, vanilla, spinach, cocoa powder, peanut butter, and Greek yogurt (I think that was everything). I added some ice just to make it extra cold, and finished it off with some chia seeds. Overall, I liked the texture, but it was too banana-y for me. I felt overwhelmed by the banana flavor.

Today, I tried the following: cocoa powder, peanut butter, almond milk, 1/2 avocado, honey, vanilla, spinach, and Greek yogurt. This one was MUCH better. It was too peanut-y though, so next time less PB. I also got almond butter to try, so I might try that.

I am going to try a few other concoctions this week to see how they turn out. I like the high protein of this smoothie, plus, I feel like I am getting a sweet treat without being totally unhealthy! Both smoothies were definitely filling. The first one filled me through dinner!

If anyone has an ideas or contributions for chocolate smoothie recipes, please share!! I would love to hear your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment