Wednesday, August 10, 2011

3 nights of sleeping for 7 hours!

So for the past three nights Lily has successfully slept for 7 hours through the night! Two of those nights were 11p-6a and one was 10:30p-5:30a. Either way, that is some good sleeping. It has definitely been nice getting more sleep and having her on something of a sleeping schedule. I keep waiting for this schedule to change, though, so I try not to get too excited...

This week Lily joined us at school to get my room started and go over HSA materials. During the HSA meeting she was a perfect angel...mostly looking at Becky and making her laugh (which, is kind of humorous when Becky is saying "How can we focus on getting FARMS students' scores higher?...Hi Bean! Anyone have ideas?". She did a pretty good job for it being a longer day at school, she even felt comfortable enough to poop through her diaper, onesie, and pants. That was a fun diaper change for mommy.

I will miss my Bean terribly when school starts, but I know she is in capable hands at my parents' house and then at daycare. I have mixed feelings about going back to school; I am enjoying these days with my wonderful co-workers, but I know once school starts the stress will begin. I truly love what I do, but with high stakes testing the schoolhouse has become a kid factory, pumping out graduates. It makes me sad to see learning so focused on one test. I would rather freely do what I thought I was hired to do-- enrich students' lives through literature. I look at Lily and wonder what her education will be like. I feel grateful that she was born into a family who values education. I hope that she can develop the love for learning that I had, and still have. I want school to be a sanctuary for her, not a factory like it seems to be now.

No comments:

Post a Comment