Friday, August 16, 2013

It's Upon Us...

Well, back-to-school is upon us. I meet this year with very mixed feelings. Our school is undergoing some major changes-- changes related to the new implementation of the common core and teacher evaluation system-- and changes related to a new principal. I am excited for some of the changes. I am definitely motivated by the immediate changes that will be happening within the school. I am a little...nervous?...apprehensive?...about common core and the teacher evaluation system. There are so many unknowns. I am hoping this isn't viewed as the quick fix to public education, as I see it taking years for its success to truly be measured. We will see.

I am excited to get back in the school routine. To see my friends and co-workers again. To be in my room with my students again. I can't wait to supply shop and make my room my own again this year. I am looking forward to being the new SGA co-adviser. I am also looking forward to co-advising the class of 2017. There is going to be a little more on my plate school-wise this year, which is nice because I do like to be involved around the building. I think it is so important for teachers to be visible to their students in capacities other than classroom teacher.

This school year I also need to begin (again!) taking graduate classes. I am hoping to finish my equivalency in the next two years. I don't know when I will officially finish my master's degree; probably once my kids are a little bigger. Right now, I just can't commit to a super time consuming program. And, once I do commit, I want to give it my all. I know with two small kids that wouldn't be possible.

Lily goes back to Mother's Day Out this fall. She really started to enjoy it toward the end of her summer session, so I am hoping this fall she grows to love "school" even more. I am hoping to find a swimming program for her to take on the weekend. Our September schedule is already filling up, so we'll see what I can find to work in!

I know this year will be crazy, but I think I am getting better and better at balancing home and work. I  know I will need to be even better at grading during school hours and trying not to bring as much home (unless, by some miracle, Jack learns to love naps). I think, as a teacher, I am constantly evaluating myself and trying to evolve into a better version of myself. At least, I hope I am.

Come Monday, I know leaving the house will be hard. I will miss my kids and their silliness. I will miss lazy mornings. I will miss Lily's antics and Jack's smiles. I know, however, that I will come home to big a "MAMA BACK!" and hugs, smiles, and kisses. This time of year is always a little hard when it comes to leaving my kiddies.

I do welcome the school year with optimism and excitement. I know not every day will be easy. I know that. I also know that many good things are coming our way this year, and I embrace those new things. To all my teacher friends- good luck this year! I hope that you have a wonderful year!

1 comment:

  1. I am excited but apprehensive as well but we got this, momma, and when we stumble we ll go have a good cry together on the "therapy" couch.

    ReplyDelete