Friday, June 24, 2011

Lily is here!

Well, the due date came and went...the 18th came and went...and then came Father's Day. In the morning it didn't look like Lily would be a Father's Day contractions, no discomfort, nothing. Then around 11:30am I started having irregular contractions. I was getting lower back pain, but didn't want to make much of it because I knew it could be a while or it might be nothing. Tom's parents were scheduled to come over for dinner, so we went ahead with dinner plans. We got Bare Bones carryout at around 6...just about the time that the contractions became regular. They went from completely irregular to regular and 5 minutes apart in less than an hour. We called the doctor and she said to wait a bit longer until the contractions were a little closer. So we waited maybe half and hour and the contractions were 2 minutes apart. We called again and she said to get to the hospital. When we got to St. Agnes it was just after 8pm. I was admitted and checked and I was dilated to a 4 already and 100% effaced! Yay! My nurse was Tiffany and she was amazing. She also told me I could get an epidural, which I knew I wanted. My contractions were one on top of the other, so I knew it would help me rest...and I knew it would be a long night. After the epidural it took a little longer to progress I got to a 6 then an 8 and then I felt tons of pressure (worse than a contraction, in my opinion). Once I got to a 10 I HAD to push. The baby was still a little high, so they wanted me to wait a little longer, but I needed to start pushing, so Tiffany said to go ahead. Tom and my mom helped with everything and I discovered that I am apparently a good pusher. I pushed for almost 2 hours and then, at 6:09am on June 20, Lily Theresa was born! They put her on my chest and I was just amazed at her. Tom cut the cord. They took her to put her in the warmer and check her out. Tom went over and started to take some pictures and coo all over her. She was beautiful and perfect. A healthy 8lbs. 10 oz. and 20.75 inches long.

The whole experience was amazing. I don't think there is any other way to describe it. Tom did a great job! He didn't even faint...haha...the nurse did tell him if he chickened out she would personally send a letter to his paramed class. I am glad my mom was there, she was so encouraging. She and Tom kept telling me how great I was doing, which made things easier (and stroked my ego a bit...ha). Like I said before, my nurse was awesome. Once we could see Lily's head she was SO excited. She told us she loves it every time because it is such an exciting moment. The doctor was the on call doctor and she was also great. She told me she was surprised at how calm I was for a first timer. My doctor did end up seeing me briefly because she was called in when another doctor called out sick. She was so excited to see me and hear the news.

The hospital stay was great...though a bit boring. I was so happy to get home and start things there with Lily. Fred is doing a pretty good job. He is the dirty diaper detector. We already had our first appointment with the pediatrician. She had jaundice and needed to be checked.  Luckily, her levels went down. Anyway...more later. So far, things have been great. Can't wait to see where things go from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment